The Holy Spirit is the Helper, the Comforter.
Jesus revealed God’s perfect plan for mankind, recorded in John. He spoke about the Helper four times, in John 14, 15 & 16.
The name “Helper” is also translated Comforter, Counselor, Advocate, Intercessor.
“Helper” in the Greek is paráklētos, or paraclete, which means “One called alongside to help.”
The four times Jesus spoke about the Helper:
1. “I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper” (John 14:16).
2. “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name” (John 14:26).
3. “But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father” (John 15:26).
4. “If I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you” (John 16:7).
1. Jesus prays, the Father sends the Helper.
2. The Father sends the Helper in Jesus’ name.
3. Jesus sends the Helper from the Father.
4. Jesus sends the Helper.
These four revelations coincide with the four phases of knowing God:
1. Born again (John 3:3)
2. Born of water and the Spirit (John 3:5-8), also called the infilling of the Holy Spirit.
3. Drink living water, it becomes a fountain springing up into everlasting life (John 4:13-14), also called the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
4. Come to Jesus, drink the living water, believe in Him, rivers of living water will flow out of your innermost being (John 7:37-38), the anointing.
And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever – the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you (John 14:16-17).
“But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you” (John 14:26).
But when the Helper comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify of Me. And you also will bear witness, because you have been with Me from the beginning (John 15:26-27).
“Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you” (John 16:7).